As a professional finisher, you know that trends come and go in our industry – including powder glaze. Currently, a modern, stark aesthetic is popular with younger end users.
However, do not let the trends fool you. In our over 45 years of business, we have noticed that classic looks tend to stick around and often make a big comeback. Plus, there is always a demand for various types of finishes from specific customers.
For example, powder glaze has stood the test of time. It could be considered a “first cousin” to stain because this glaze also highlights the grain of the wood while adding a softness to the appearance of the wood.
Given there is always a demand for unique finishes – and since powder glaze is your best solution when a customer project demands a more distressed or antique look – keep reading to learn how to use this product and how Finishers Depot can help you with your product selection.
What Is Powder Glaze?
Powder glaze is a water-based material that professional finishers can utilize to give cabinets or furniture a more distressed look.
Although not presently “en vogue,” this type of glaze is still used for specific projects. For instance, imagine your client is requesting a batch of furniture pieces to look like something you would find in an older Victorian home.
You would likely use this product to refinish the kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, and other pieces of furniture. This type of glaze allows you to stay true to the time period. You will avoid a sterile, modern look and achieve a softer, warmer aesthetic or antique look. The finished product will fit within the context of the customer’s project.
Advantages of Using Powder Glaze
There are many reasons to use powder glaze to support your next project. Consider the following benefits for finishing professionals:
- It is a water-based, green, and sustainable product. As an eco-friendly product, you can be confident that VOCs or solvents will not be released into the environment.
- There is room for creativity with this type of glaze. Depending on your application, you can achieve several different design aesthetics.
- You retain a high level of control with this product to choose a subtle or dramatic glaze.
- If your client desires design genres like shabby chic, rustic, or farmhouse, powder glaze is the best way to create an antique or weathered look.
- Sealing your powder glaze with a top coat provides long-lasting durability and protection.
- It is easy to use, reasonably accessible, and often a cost-effective way to update a project.
- Powder glaze is very forgiving. If you make a mistake, simply wet your rag, wipe it off, and try again.
On the contrary, powder glaze is not the right fit for every project. This type of glaze is not a viable solution when it does not fit the project's constraints and would hinder your customer's desired design aesthetic. Be mindful of your customer’s preferences before selecting this glaze.
How To Use Powder Glaze
Ready to get started using this type of glaze? Consider this step-by-step guide to get the job done correctly and efficiently.
- Clean the surface of the cabinets or furniture you want to glaze. (This includes sanding previous finishes, if necessary.)
- Mix the glaze until smooth.
- Apply your glaze with a sponge or brush, ensuring you work it into all the details and crevices of the wood.
- With a clean rag, wipe off the excess material.
- Repeat as needed for the desired look.
- Once dry, apply a topcoat.
- Finally, lightly sand the piece, as necessary, to remove the dry powder.
Do you have additional questions about using powder glaze for furniture pieces? Or, do you need access to resources to learn how to use powder in your role? Get in touch with us to learn more about the best practices for finishing professionals.
Powder Glaze Options at Finishers Depot
Now that you know more about why and how to use powder glaze, it’s time to look at an available product to satisfy your customer’s request.
We recommend ZENITH WB Powder Glaze because it is easy to apply, has outstanding flow and leveling characteristics, and has exceptional clarity.
This product is highly durable with excellent household chemical resistance and will pass all Kitchen Cabinet Manufactures Association (KCMA) coatings performance requirements when properly applied and cured.
Also, the ZENITH product is ideal for projects like kitchen and bathroom cabinets, office furniture, architectural millwork, and store fixtures. We endorse this product for the following reasons:
- Easy to apply
- Outstanding flow and leveling
- Exceptional clarity
- Extremely durable finish
- Excellent household chemical resistance
- Low VOC and HAPS free
Plus, our recommended product offers the features a finishing professional needs, including ready-to-spray viscosity, a robust self-seal system, and excellent flow.
Finishers Depot Gives You Solutions
When you choose to work with Finishers Depot, you benefit from our advanced capabilities for color matching, high-quality products, and superior customer service.
We are proud to offer you solutions through our quality products, elite access to top experts in the field, training opportunities, and a dedicated client care representative to provide you with a hassle-free experience that ensures your success.
Our team of finishing professionals can expertly assist you in selecting powder glaze or any other finishing products you desire so that you can remain committed to project timelines and deliver exceptional results to your customers.
To place your next order, please contact us for a consultation with a team member. We look forward to supporting your upcoming furniture projects.